Saturday 25 October 2014

Make your own Granola
















I have been making an intentional move away from prepared foods. I certainly have not arrived, by any means, but I find myself further down the road than I was a year ago.   I really believe in my heart of hearts that what we are putting into our bodies in the name of convenience is the root cause of the nations' health problems.   On the other hand, I live in a house with two teenagers, and "slow food" is not always an option. We have to have simple to grab and go snacks.   One of our favorite homemade convenience breakfast or snack food is  is homemade granola.  I store it in large 1.5 litre mason jars and try and have a couple variations in my pantry to choose from.  Walnut/ Cranberry and Dried Apple, or  Coconut/ Almond/ Dried Apricots and Blueberries.  or just a Flax Seed/ Sunflower Seed/ and Raisins.   I use whatever combination I have on hand.  We eat granola with milk, homemade yogurt, over berries or bananas, or alone in bagged lunches.
5 c oatmeal (up to 1 ½ c can be substituted with nuts, seeds or a combination of both)
1 c whole wheat flour ( I have to admit, I have used unbleached white flour
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1/3   c maple syrup
1/2 c juice (orange, pineapple, or apple)
½  t  flavoring (almond or vanilla extract)
Up to 2 c of dried fruit or coconut
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, cinnamon and salt; mix well. In a separate bowl, combine oil, syrup, juice and extracts. Slowly pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients, using a spatula to fold and evenly coat the dry mixture with the wet. Spread on a cookie sheet or in a shallow pan  ( I use two 9' x 11' pans) and bake. Turn granola every 15 or 20 minutes so that it toasts evenly. Bake until granola is dry and golden (45-60 minutes). Add dried fruit.   Store mixture in an air tight jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment